Wednesday, October 6, 2010

15. Country Vegetable Chowder

This recipe is from Not Your Mother's Weeknight Cooking. I was looking for something quick. I had some fresh spinach in the refrigerator so I thought I'd give this a try.

Country Vegetable Chowder

Prep Time:15 min
Cook time: About 15 min.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium-size leeks, washed, white part only, thinly sliced into rounds, then cut in half
2 tablespoons all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
2 stalks celery, diced
3 new potatoes, diced
1 teaspoon dried crumbled herbs, such as basil, thyme, or Italian blend
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
114.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 16 oz package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
6 oz fresh baby spinach leaves (about 3 large handfuls)
1 ½ cups half and half or plain soy milk

1. melt the butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat and sauté the leeks until limp, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle the leeks with flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the celery, potatoes, herbs, broth, and tomatoes and their juice. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, partially cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the vegetable are tender.


2. Add the lima beans, spinach, and half and half. Season with salt and simmer for 10 minutes, until steaming hot. Serve immediately.


Changes and Shortcuts: We don't like lima beans, so I substituted a can of drained and rinsed white beans. For the items that gave a choice, I used white flour, oregano (couldn't find my basil!, chicken broth, and half and half. I also added pepper and Mrs. Dash.


Results:I felt that this soup need something else. I think carrots would have been better than the beans and spinach. All in all, not bad.


Keeper? I don't think so.

No comments: