Monday, October 11, 2010

14. Curried Pumpkin-Vegetable Soup

This looked super easy and different and I had pretty much everything on hand. The recipe is from www.bettycrocker.com.

Curried Pumpkin-Vegetable Soup

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups Green Giant frozen mixed vegetables (from a 1 lb bag)
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14 oz) fat free chick broth with 33% less sodium
½ cup water
½ teaspoon sugar
11/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon paprika

1. In a 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes; stirring frequently until onion is crisp-tender.


2. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. If desired, season with salt and pepper.

Shortcuts and Changes: For starters, I just realized I forgot the sugar. I think it would be good in this recipe and I can't believe I left it out! I don't like peas or lima beans, so I searched the frozen vegetable for something I could use. I came up with a mix of corn, carrots, and asparagus. This worked well but they were whole baby carrots and pieces of asparagus that were about and inch and a half long. So, I wound up fishing them out and cutting them up. (I think some potatoes and carrots would be good, too) In the end, I added a little garam masala since I have a whole bunch on hand. I served this with some refrigerator biscuits.


Results: This is a very thick, flavorful soup. I thought it was tasty.


Keeper: I think so!

No comments: