Sunday, February 14, 2010

22. Slow Cooker North Woods Wild Rice Soup

I tried a slow cooker recipe that I found on the Betty Crocker web site (www.bettycrocker.com)while I was looking for something else. Because I'm pressed for time, a slow cooker recipe seemed like a good idea. This one was especially easy because it was pretty much just a matter of throwing everything in the cooker and turning it on.

Slow Cooker North Woods Wild Rice Soup

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 medium stalks celery, diced (1 cup)
2 medium carrots, diced (1 cup)
1 cup diced smoked turkey (6 oz.)
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 1/2 cups Progresso chicken broth (from 32 oz carton)
1 can (12 oz) evaporated fat-free milk
1/3 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1 cup Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers frozen sweet peas, thawed
2 tablespoons dry sherry, if desired

1. In 10 inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion in oil about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
2. Place onion, celery, carrots, turkey, wild rice, tarragon and pepper in 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker. Pour broth over top.
3. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hour or until wild rice and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas last 15 minutes of cooking.
4. Mix milk and flour; stir into soup. Cover and cook about 20 minutes or until thickened.

Makes 6 servings

Changes and Shortcuts:No one in this family really likes peas so I substituted chopped broccoli. The only other change is that I didn't use the brand names that were in the recipe.

ResultsNot bad. The soup was a little thicker than I like. I think the soup would be fine without the turkey.

Keeper?I don't think so.

No comments: