Thursday, August 20, 2009

25. Cream of Carrot Soup

I had no idea what I was making for dinner tonight so took inventory and realized I had everything I needed for this soup. The recipe is from the Better Homes and Garden Soups and Stews cook book.

Cream of Carrot Soup

1 ½ cups chicken broth
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup of sliced carrots
1 tablespoon snipped parsley
½ teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
Few dashes white pepper
1 cup milk

In a saucepan combine chicken broth, chopped onion, carrots, parsley, and basil. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12 minutes. Place half the vegetable mixture into a blender or food processor. Cover and blend 30 to 60 seconds or till smooth. Pour into bowl. Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture. Set aside.

In the same saucepan melt the butter. Blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Add the milk all at once. Cook and stir till mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in the blended vegetable mixture. Cook and stir till soup is heated through. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serves 3 or 4.

Changes and Shortcuts: I used rice milk instead of milk and dried parsley instead of fresh. I used a can of chicken broth, so it was 14 ounces instead of 12.

Results: Very good. I felt it need a little something else, so I added a pinch of garlic and ginger.

Keeper? YES

No comments: